When happy birthday isn't good enough
Birthdays come every year and with them come birthday cards. Whether you're writing for a friend, a partner, a parent or a sibling, it can be a challenge to come up with the right thing to say.
With that in mind, we've created several lists of suggestions for what to write in a birthday card based on whose birthday it is. Also, we've added in writing ideas, tips for customization and what to write in a funny birthday card to make sure that you either find what you're looking for or get inspired to write your own birthday card message. Browse the suggestions below for what to write in a birthday card for mom, dad, your favorite (and least favorite) sibling, friends and significant others.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a Friend
When writing a birthday card for a friend, remember that friends choose each other. You don't have to try super hard to write something they'll appreciate—the similarities in your personalities are what make you good friends, so you'll know what to say when you think of it. With that in mind, here are some things to write in a birthday card for a friend:
- Make a wish. Happy Birthday!
- Happiest of birthday wishes to you!
- Celebrate your BIG day with cake!
- Happy, happy, happy x 1000 birthdays to you!
- Happy birthday [name]! I wish you many, many more birthdays to come.
- Happy birthday! I hope you do something fun to celebrate.
- The happiest of birthdays to the dearest of friends.
[age] never looked so good! Happy birthday, [name].
Funny birthday card messages for friends:
- I heard that cake is calorie-free on your birthday—so grab your fork!
- Happy birthday! Are we still pretending it's your 29th?
- Happy birthday! I hope you didn't spend all of your birthday money on candles.
- Happy birthday to the best-looking person I know. And to you, too, I guess.
Birthday Card Writing Idea: Include a fun memory: Happy Birthday [name]! Remember that time [memory]? Hope to make many more memories with you!
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Your Significant Other
Birthday cards for girlfriends, boyfriends, partners, wives or husbands can be stressful—but they don't have to be! If what you write in their birthday card makes them smile, then you're already off to a great start! Use the birthday card messages below for inspiration and, whatever you do, just write from the heart.
- Happy birthday to the person that makes every day of my life better. Hope I can make this day better for you!
- So glad I get to spend your birthday with you.
- Wishing a lovely birthday to the loveliest [man/woman] I know.
- Happy birthday, [name]! Feeling so lucky to spend it with you.
- Trying to say how much you mean to me, but of words I can only find three. This will simply have to do: Happy birthday, and I love you.
Funny birthday card messages for a partner:
- Happy birthday to the person who makes every day of my life better. And happy birthday to you, too.
- Another birthday passes but you don't look a day over [age much older than theirs] to me.
- Happy birthday, dearest! Your real birthday present is the gift receipt.
Birthday Card Writing Idea: Try to make a poem. It can be as short as "Roses are red / Violets are blue / Happy birthday / I love you." Any effort is sure to be appreciated and smiled at.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Mom and Dad
It can be challenging to find out what to say to a parent on their birthday, but we've got some ideas that may help you out. If you don't have any ideas for Mom's birthday card or can't decide what to say to dad on his birthday, here are some suggestions from us about what to write in mom or dad's birthday card:
- Happy birthday! I wish you many, many more.
- Happiest of birthdays to the [funniest, kindest, smartest, etc.] person I know.
- Happy birthday
- Happy birthday to the [man/woman] that made me who I am today.
- Wishing you the best of birthdays because you deserve it!
Funny birthday card messages for mom and dad:
Wishing you the best of birthdays—you deserve it after putting up with [me/us]!
So glad to wish you a happy birthday! After all, without yours, I wouldn't get to celebrate mine!
This might be the last year that people think we're [sisters/brothers], so have a happy birthday!
Birthday Card Writing Idea: Use rhyme! Rhyming their name or other parts of the phrase will make the message happy and a bit funny without making you stress over it. Example: Happy birthday, Harry! Hope your day is merry, turning 50 is scary, but at least you're not named Jerry! It doesn't have to make sense for it to make someone smile.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a Sister or Brother
Some siblings are the person you know best, so you want to write them the perfect birthday card. Never fear—we've created a list of suggested messages that you can use or be inspired by as well as some funny birthday card messages that balance a heartfelt message and the teasing relationship that many siblings enjoy.
- On this day [age] years ago, my life changed for the better. Happy birthday little [brother/sister]!
- Happy birthday to my [talented, smart, beautiful, etc.] [brother/sister].
- Wishing you a happy birthday and many more happy birthdays to come.
- Happy birthday, [name]. I can't believe you're already [age]. It seems like just yesterday you were [childhood memory].
- Happy birthday, [name]! And thanks for having my back all these years.
Funny birthday card messages for a sister or brother:
- Happy birthday! Now quit telling people you're my [brother/sister], you're making me look old!
- Happy birthday to the one other person who survived mom and dad.
- Happy birthday to mom and dad's second favorite child!
Birthday Card Writing Idea: Write about the gift you got them, either in riddle form or just a list of hints. You can be serious or teasing—both ways lead to laughter. For example: What's in this box, you may ask? But finding out is your task. Here's a hint to consider: It's completely covered in glitter.
More Birthday Card Writing Ideas
If the birthday card messages above weren't quite right and you want to take a more custom path, these ideas for what to write in a birthday card might provide some inspiration and spark your creativity:
- Brainstorm ideas by writing everything you want to say on a separate piece of paper. After a few minutes, take a look at what you wrote and try to put it together.
- If you have old birthday cards from that person, look at what they've written. Chances are, they'd appreciate something similar!
- Make the card the focus more than the message. You can make the card yourself, or find a card related to their hobbies or personality.
- If you have some artistic skills, doodle happy birthday inside the card. The time and thought put into it more than makes up for the shorter message. You're never too old to make a card, and it shows you put in time and effort!
If you don't have a gift idea yet, That's Caring offers a wide range of gifts suited to every birthday boy or girl in your life. From wine, cheese and chocolate gift boxes to sweet and salty snack mixes, you're sure to find the right gift for a loved one. Learn more about our gifts that give back mission here or find more birthday gift ideas in this post.